Thursday, June 7, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge #7: List topper, Cluster Headache Misconceptions

There are lots of myths and misconceptions about Migraine. Which one tops your list as the biggest and most common? What can we do to get the truth out there?

The #1 thing that bothers me the most about Cluster Headache misconceptions, is the pain. I ALWAYS hear, "Oh! It's just a headache, get over it." OK, I'll remember that next time I'm writhing in agony, banging my head on the floor. (Sarcasm ia wonderful isn't it?) If you've never experienced a Cluster before all I can tell you is congratulations!!! It is so horrific, I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy!! I always describe my Clusters as a demon running an amok in my head. Poking, prodding, stabbing at whatever sanity still exists. However, I did a little bit of research so this may be a teeny bit more helpful.



A cluster headache strikes quickly, usually without warning. Typical signs and symptoms include:

-Excruciating pain, generally located in or around the eye, but may radiate to other areas of the face, head, neck and shoulders

-One-sided pain

-Restlessness

-Excessive tearing

-Redness in the eye of the affected side

-Stuffy or runny nasal passage in the nostril on the affected side of your face

-Sweaty, pale skin (pallor) on the face

-Swelling around the eye on the affected side of your face

-Reduced pupil size

Drooping eyelid


The pain of a cluster headache is often described as sharp, penetrating or burning. People with this condition say that the pain feels like a hot poker being stuck in the eye or that the eye is being pushed out of its socket.
People with cluster headache appear restless, preferring to pace or sit and rock back and forth to soothe the attack. In contrast to people with migraine, people with cluster headache usually avoid lying down during an attack because this position seems to increase the pain.

Some migraine-like symptoms, including nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, and aura, may occur with a cluster headache, though usually on one side. Via http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cluster-headache/DS00487/DSECTION=symptoms



I really in all honestly think that to get the word out there is AWARENESS!! So many of my friends on Facebook have to be annoyed with my ever constant headache posts. But how will anyone know, if I don't put it out there for people to see?!


Wishing you all a pain free day. I see a couch that DESPERATELY needs my company today =[

K8 =]



National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Thank you for the information about cluster headaches, Kate. Ay carumba - pain central. I hope you find relief today.

Kate "Katetastrophe" Chappell said...

Thank You Andrea! I hope so too... Even if it is just a tension headache, they still hurt after 8hrs of no relief!! =[

Anonymous said...

We really do need to raise more awareness! I actually have CPH, a rare form of cluster headache (nice, right? a rare form of a rare disease haha) and I HATE when people, even doctors, sit through my whole description of what it feels like and then they say, "So like a migraine?" And I have to refrain from screaming, NO! oh my gosh no!!!! So I explain the specific differences between CPH and migraine, and they always, without fail, repeat, "soo....like a migraine?" and at that point I usually want to just kick them in the face and curse at them and run out of the room. My boyfriend and I actually want to form a legitimate cluster headache foundation and we were actually considering calling it the Foundation for Crazy Stabby Headaches haha since that's what I call my headaches. But yeah, it's ridiculous that it's literally the most painful condition known to medical science and no one knows about it!

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY hear you! I actually have CPH, a rare form of cluster headache (nice, right? A rare form of a rare disorder haha) and it kills me how whenever I tell people, even doctors, what it feels like then they sit through my whole description of the pain and then say, "So like a migraine?" and I have to refrain from screaming NO! No no no! Nothing like a migraine! So I explain again, specifically detailing the differences between CPH and migraines, and they always, without fail, repeat "soo.....like a migraine?" And at that point I usually just run screaming out of the room in an effort to not curse them out and kick them haha it's crazy how this is "the most painful condition known to medical science" and nobody's heard of it! It definitely needs some awareness! My boyfriend and I actually want to try to make a foundation for it and we were considering calling it the Foundation for Crazy Stabby Headaches (haha that's what I call them to distinguish them from what I call a normal-people headache)

Anonymous said...

ok this isn't a real comment haha I just realized that my first post DID actually work, I didn't see the message at the top where YOU have to approve it, so I did it again, I'm sorry! Whoops! haha